The latest Aston Villa headlines as Unai Emery prepares his team to take to Nottingham Forest
Youngster Omari Kellyman has extended his contract with Aston Villa.
The 18-year-old joined Villa from Derby County in March of last year before signing his first professional contract a few months later. Kellyman, highly-rated by the club, has already made two senior appearances in the Carabao Cup defeat against Everton and in the Europa Conference League against Hibernian.
A statement released by the club, reads: “Aston Villa is delighted to announce Omari Kellyman has signed a new contract with the club. The 18-year-old made his senior debut when he started a Europa Conference League tie against Hibernian in August, while he has also been named on the substitutes bench in the Premier League four times this season.
“The attacking midfielder, who joined the club from Derby County last year, gained international recognition with England Under-19s at the beginning of the current campaign.”
Villa will have to pay Pedro Goncalves’ release clause if they wish to sign the winger in the January window.
Villa have been heavily linked with the 25-year-old since the summer transfer window. Reports in Portugal back in September claimed that the club remained front runners for the Sporting man ahead of the January transfer window.
Tottenham, Liverpool, and Newcastle United have all been linked with an interest. But Sporting’s stance has now been outlined, with a clear message to those who may wish to make a move when the transfer window reopens.
According to Portuguese outlet A Bola, via SportWitness , Sporting considered a summer transfer for Goncalves ‘not negotiable’. He is a key player for the club, who they also do not wish to sell in the January transfer window.
The player put pen to paper on a new deal with the Portuguese side, but the extension is claimed to continue to include a release clause of €80 million (£69.5m). Villa, or any other club interested would therefore have to pay that price should they wish to sign the player in the upcoming window.
Sporting CP coach Ruben Amorim has shared his stance on Aston Villa-linked Geny Catamo.
The 22-year-old is understood to be on Villa’s radar following their long-standing interest in Pedro Goncalves. Catamo has adapted well to the Portuguese top-flight after being called up by Amorim during pre-season.
He has so far scored two goals and provided two assists in 13 games in all competitions. Catamo joined Sporting from Liga 3 outfit Amora in 2019 but previously had loan spells at Vitoria Sport Clube and Maritimo.
Sporting only own 25 per cent of the player’s sell-on fee. It is claimed that they want to try and negotiate with Amora to secure the remaining 75 per cent amid transfer interest from a number of clubs.
Asked about the interest in Catamo, Amorim told Portuguese outlet O Jogo: “I’m very comfortable regarding Geny’s situation. Because while I’m Sporting’s boss, there won’t be a sale and this is the dream of every manager.”